Gemeinsam für Berlin (Together for Berlin) is an ecumenical network belonging to the greater Berlin area. It’s here that individuals, initiatives, and churches are connected and encouraged to serve the people of our city.
Our passion is to see the city of Berlin become what God has called it to be. People come to know God and follow Jesus Christ. The unity of Jesus Christ’s love is visible and can be experienced in its beauty and diversity. People’s living conditions are good and just.
Changing hearts and circumstances in the city for the sake of the Gospel.
The whole gospel throughout the whole church – for the whole city.
What we do:
- We start initiatives in areas where Christians aren’t yet engaged.
- We bring together socially engaged Christians from across denominations, generations, cultures, and ethnicities.
- We partner with christian initiatives which are pursuing similar goals.
- We participate in community life and promote initiatives in our neighborhood.
- We pray for local urban issues, including through prayer events.
In Berlin, people from many cultures, milieus, lifestyles and values, religions and worldviews live together in a small space. Thinking, talking and acting in a way that fits the idea of Gemeinsam für Berlin to us means living out our faith with clarity and courage, while also being willing to engage in dialogue with sensitivity and get to know others from differing convictions. We find this very well expressed in the statement, “Das christliche Zeugnis in einer multireligiösen Welt” (The Christian Witness in a Multireligious World). This was written by the World Council of Churches, the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue and the World Evangelical Alliance. We also endorse this declaration for Berlin’s context.
The statement can be read in full, here: Mission Respect