Gemeinsam für Berlin (Together for Berlin) is an ecumenical network belonging to the greater Berlin area. It’s here that individuals, initiatives, and churches are connected and encouraged to serve the people of our city. Our aim is to have positive effects of the gospel be felt in as many social areas of the city as possible, through the prayers, words, and actions of Christians.
How we work
- We promote unity among Christians, prayer and vision for God’s work in the city, and the coordinated, sustainable actions thereof.
- We encourage ministry out of a place of love, living a missional lifestyle and being a witness of faith.
- We identify where there is a longing for God and exemplary models for socially relevant churches.
- We facilitate the needed relationships and networking of those involved.
What we do
- We start initiatives in areas where Christians aren’t yet engaged.
- We bring together socially engaged Christians from across denominations, generations, cultures, and ethnicities.
- We partner with christian initiatives which are pursuing similar goals.
- We participate in community life and promote initiatives in our neighborhood.
- We pray for local urban issues, including through prayer events.
In Berlin, people from many cultures, milieus, lifestyles and values, religions and worldviews live together in a small space. Thinking, talking and acting in a way that fits the idea of Gemeinsam für Berlin to us means living out our faith with clarity and courage, while also being willing to engage in dialogue with sensitivity and get to know others from differing convictions. We find this very well expressed in the statement, “Das christliche Zeugnis in einer multireligiösen Welt” (The Christian Witness in a Multireligious World). This was written by the World Council of Churches, the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue and the World Evangelical Alliance. We also endorse this declaration for Berlin’s context.
The statement can be read in full, here: Mission Respect